Wednesday

Building the Surround

 I've been thinking of building my fireplace surround for several weeks now, and have looked at so many photos from so many sites.. I do know what I want it to look like in my mind.. so I take a bit from one photo and a bit from another.
This morning I spent the better part of an hour measuring and re-measuring each piece of wood that needs to be cut... took my measurements to my favorite Home Depot Guy and he was so good to me.  We took a  4' by 8' sheet of cabinet pine and he cut each of my measurements... 13 cuts in all.... I'm truly amazed with myself,, "It all fit"!

Wed morning update.
 Looking at my photo I've noticed I may need to take the wall base board off, to get the surround close to the wall?  One nice thing about using this 'cabinet pine' the wood is soft and the nails and screws go in so easy.
Question?..... do I need to use wood glue along with the screws?  Will ask the HD guy this morning.



This is what I have done so far.




Right now  it's all nailed together.  I have wood screws to put it together but I needed to see if the insert would fit. There are cinder blocks under the fire/heat  insert to give it height.
Funny thing, Mr. Neither almost had a stroke when he saw me cutting the carpet out of the space.. I want it standing on the sturdy concrete floor.  The new flooring will be put around it because it's going to be a built in. 


I used this photo from another blog as a pattern of sorts, but my idea will be to get more wood tomorrow and build low bookcases on either side.


The design of the fireplace surround above is nice and hopefully I will be able to replicate the look.
I want to put the TV on the wall above but for now it's standing on the mantel with the cable box just sitting on the top of the insert.  I'm debating adding a wood shelf for the cable box,  but then so far it's looking ok where it is?  I may make a different decision once it complete?





 When I get the book cases put together there will be another post showing how it's looking... this is a rather big job but it's going to cost me under $100.00 to complete the project.   This price will include the pine for the mantel and then the decorative molding to complete the look.  I already have the primer and paint from other projects.
So far I'm feeling good about how it's coming along!

To be continued!

I'm joining a few  parties this week



6 comments:

Granny said...

I like it! I'm laughing out loud at your hubby's reaction to you cutting out the carpet. Mine would probably have fainted. lol

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Wow, just amazing, it is going to look so nice when completed, can't wait to see it all done!

Karen said...

Oh, Sandy, you never fail to amaze me! Look at you go! Once you make up your mind, the job is 3/4 done. And you have sleep apnea...well, I am definitely going to keep trying to recover if I can gain even an iota of your energy! Looking forward eagerly to the rest of this post.

dollygk said...

Wow, it's coming along really great!! Hope you get just the look you want!

dollygk said...

Wow, it's coming along really great!! Hope you get just the look you want!

Sunny said...

You're doing something I wish I had the gumption to do, work with wood. I have all the good ideas and techniques, in my head, but have never done anything like this at all. Good for you.