Friday

Shelf Life

Did you ever go into your cabinet or pantry and wonder "How long should I keep this item"?


Well I found this really interesting article today and thought everyone might like the information about every day products and the shelf life.

A handy keep-or-toss guide to 75 foods, beauty products, and household goods.


Brown sugar
Indefinite shelf life, stored in a moistureproof container in a cool, dry place.
Chocolate (Hershey bar)
1 year from production date
Coffee, canned ground
Unopened: 2 years
Opened: 1 month refrigerated
Coffee, gourmet
Beans: 3 weeks in paper bag, longer in vacuum-seal bag (after this time, color or flavor may be affected, but product is still generally safe to consume)
Ground: 1 week in sealed container
Coffee, instant
Unopened: Up to 2 years
Opened: Up to 1 month
Diet soda (and soft drinks in plastic bottles)
Unopened: 3 months from “best by” date.
Opened: Doesn't spoil, but taste is affected.


I don't think I have had many of the foods or cleaners in my closet long enough to worry about the shelf life.. I don't buy in bulk or have more than two of each item around the house... I do keep one cleaner in the down bath and one in the up bath.. but what is under the kitchen sink is usually 'it'!
I'm so not one of those people that keep stuff,, if I don't use it I either give it away or toss it... I like no clutter in my closets.


Now Make up.. I'm guilty of keeping that much too long.. but I do toss it after a year if it's not used up....  Take a look at a few of the items mentioned in the article and click on the link at the end of my post to see the page...
Very interesting indeed!

Body bleaches and depilatories
Unopened: 2 years
Used: 6 months
Body lotion
3 years
Conditioner
2 to 3 years
Deodorant
Unopened: 2 years
Used: 1 to 2 years
For antiperspirants, see expiration date
Eye cream
Unopened: 3 years
Used: 1 year
Face Lotion

Face lotion
With SPF, see expiration date. All others, at least 3 years
Foundation, oil-based
2 years
Foundation, water-based
3 years
Hair gel
2 to 3 years
Hair spray
2 to 3 years
Lip balm
Unopened: 5 years
Used: 1 to 5 years
Lipstick
2 years
Mascara

Mascara
Unopened: 2 years
Used: 3 to 4 months
Mouthwash
Three years from manufacture date
Nail polish
1 year
Nail-polish remover
Lasts indefinitely
Perfume
1 to 2 years
Rubbing alcohol
At least 3 years
Shampoo
2 to 3 years
Shaving cream
2 years or more
    
Tooth-whitening strips

Fire extinguisher, nonrechargeable
12 years
Laundry detergent, liquid or powdered
Unopened: 9 months to 1 year
Opened: 6 months
Metal polish (silver, copper, brass)
At least 3 years
Miracle Gro, liquid
Opened: 3 to 8 years
Miracle Gro, liquid, water-soluble
Indefinite
Motor Oil

Motor oil
Unopened: 2 to 5 years
Opened: 3 months
Mr. Clean
2 years
Paint
Unopened: Up to 10 years
Opened: 2 to 5 years
Spray paint
2 to 3 years

The article talks about the 'Fire Extinguisher'... mine has been sitting under the kitchen sink for 6 years now.. wonder if it still works? They say 12 years!

I've enclosed the link to the article if you would like to read it.  I need to look around the house for some of these products and maybe toss a few.... hmmm?


 
"Happy Tossing" 




3 comments:

dollygk said...

I was surprised by Brown Sugar and Mayonaise! Thanks for sharing.

Granny said...

Great post filled with good information. I'm guilty of not cleaning out my refrigerator often enough. The other day I found a bottle of barbecue sauce that I don't remember buying. It was emptied, washed and the bottle recycled. I've saved that article for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow this was really interesting. What great information. I am new to your blog. Really like it.