Thursday

I should or should not do, what?


It's September today and it had me thinking of "How Fast Time is Moving"
Then I ran into the following article.. Put a smile on my face as I thought of how I'm feeling about life and how I have been thinking of.... my looks, my clothes,, my words...
Each year I look into my closet or think about the things I do and say then wonder, Should I be saying or doing the things I did when I was younger? 
Should I grow old Gracefully? (does that mean look like my grandma did?)  Or just continue if it feels good?  Hell, I still wear my shorts because I like them and it's HOT here!



The September issue of the AARP Bulletin tells people over 50 to stop tolerating arrogance, don't say the word "panties" and never, under any circumstance, wear low-rise jeans.
Here is a full list of things AARP says people over 50 should and should not do: 

Words to ax...
- Panties
- Smashed, overserved, or hammered.
- Sick!
- Whatever
- I'm like ... We mean "I said" or "I say." So we should say it.
- Totes. Unless you mean that clever little umbrella.
- Hot. Except when referring to the weather or habaneros.
- Kick it 


Things never to do again...
- Jell-O shots
- Karaoke after Jell-O shots or any other time.
- Crowd surfing to the mosh pit.
- Drinking champagne from your son's girlfriend's shoe. Drinking champagne from your own shoe.
- Visible tats, no matter what (or who) you escaped, no matter who or what you discovered.
- Collecting owls made of shells, frogs made of ceramic or lawn gnomes made of anything. 


What not to wear...
-Miniskirts, minishorts, anything that's been deliberately diminished or ripped.
- Low-rise pants that showcase low-rise anatomy.
- Super-tight skinny jeans, even if you are both.
- T-shirts that say "Sexy Grandma," "Vote for Ozzy" or "I Am the Man from Nantucket."
- Purses with dogs on them. Purses with dogs in them.
- Gold chains with your name on them. Gold chains. Chains. 


People to no longer tolerate...
- Those who don't know you when you're down and out but just love you when you're "back."
- People who learned all they ever needed to know in high school-and are still living it.
- Gossips
- Arrogant doctors, educators, waiters, TV commentators, athletes, authors, legislators, coaches or anyone who lets a little influence go to their head.
- Space invaders. Those who stand too close, consuming space, energy, oxygen and time. 


 
- Create a boundary in life. Then take down a wall.
- Write long handwritten letters to your grandchildren, even the ones who aren't born yet.
- Put your wedding photos in an album before your 25th anniversary. Finish the baby book before the kid's 25th birthday.
- Start telling the truth, every day.
- Stand up for what you believe, and do so with dignity.
- Dance outside at night in a foreign land. (this is mine)
- Be able to retire but say, "The hell with it, I'm going strong." 



I'm like most of you, My mind is so young (still)... I'm happy and busy and just not wanting to think "Old" just yet... so I'll continue to do as I have been...
I have given up one thing... Those "Low Rise Jeans"... I'm just tired of pulling them up!
One more thing...... my hair!  When I hit 55 I read that "Older women should cut their hair"... we will look better... so after debating this I did (had a lot to do with the heat here in Florida and pre-menapause) Went and got myself a cute short hair cut!  I'm now wanting to grow it back.. but it's so funny looking in the, In between stage...?


As for Jello-Shots, I gave them up years ago!

.
.

3 comments:

La said...

Fun post, Sandy. I still do jello shots from time-to-time, but my recovery period is much longer than it used to be.

I'm hosting an End of the Summer Celebration and Giveaway. Come on over and join in the fun!

My name is Riet said...

Oh my gosh, this is funny and most of written is true. LOL. I don;t feel old, I feel young and I want to stay that way , the only thing is I don;t want to dress too young, I find that disgusting (just my opinion) but then what is too young? LOL

Jenny said...

Hey you. Where's the scoop on the dresser?

I saw this in AARP. It felt pretty darned relevant...ha!