Saturday

Day Lilly's and Nome, Alaska.....




I had some bulbs stored in a basket for the winter, with the hopes of planting them this spring.  
Look what I found.  One of the Day Lilly's bloomed in that basket without producing leaves. 
As most of us in the South are experiencing beautiful weather I wanted to share a photo of my Son. His local news  took the shot while he was walking near his home,  along a down town Juneau, street.



 Think it might be cold there?
Below is the view from his living room window today, in Juneau.. yes, really!

 

We here in Clearwater were in the perfect 80's today and I spent another day in the garden.  I managed to clean up one of the flower beds by moving some bricks and adding new soil, then planted the stored bulbs.


 I felt sorry for this poor Day Lilly and put it in a coffee cup, then on my kitchen window sill.




After having such a beautiful week here in Clearwater I keep going back to look at my Son walking in all that cold and Ice.   I get cold just looking at the photo.
The photo below is of a town he will be going to this week. It is all of 1.5 miles away from Russia.   Little Diomede, the Western most US village sitting on the International Dateline. Only 147 people call this awesome place (Toms words) home.   I hear from an elder in Wales, AK that we shall see Polar Bears!!  OH.... and since there is no airport, we'll be landing on the Bering Sea, an ice runway that hopefully has not blown away from the northerly winds.
 
Tom is an officer and an adventurer, with the Coast Guard and will be teaching the Native Americans that live there, safety and boating,  he is so excited to be going.  


My boy, my grown up boy, is holding the sweat shirt that he will be wearing during this operation. I can still see the 16 year old with his new shirt.



We may be losing an hour of sleep due to daylight savings tonight but Coast Guard men & women remain 
Semper Paratus, Always Ready.


I wanted to send out some good vibes for Tom to have a fun, safe trip.
"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
* * * *
And sending out a big
"HAPPY SPRING"
 to everyone.


I'll be linking up to





x0x0x0x

5 comments:

Its So Very Cheri said...

Awww!!! I know how proud of your boy you must be.
Love the flower. It just had to bloom and couldn't wait.

Cheri

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

You have such beautiful flowers growing! We are back with the unpredictable weather in March.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

How proud you must be of him, it does look cold though! Neat that you can garden already, mine are just coming up!
Following you now:)

Rondell

Gail said...

Thanks to those who serve, no matter where they're sent. Good man, your son.

Pondside said...

I love that shirt! Good for your brave son - that island seems a very long way from home!