Wednesday

Making Christmas Stockings for three very special people..


The Holidays are fast approaching and I've been pretty busy this past few weeks with my crafty self.
If there is one thing I love to do is make different items for family gifts and Christmas is my favorite time to do this. 

My son Tom is known as "Man of the Mountain" 
 

My Son and his family live up in Juneau and they love the animals all around their town.  They take hikes in the wilderness every weekend and are always sending photos of the bears and wildlife.  So what else but putting a few of their favorite wild animals on stocking for each.

Tom and Michelle on one of their weekend hikes. 

Imagine this background is just outside their door.


First I bought heavy duty craft felt and cut out the stockings.  I found this idea from no other than Martha Stewart.  Her stockings were on Pinterest and  are on the cover of  MS Living.

  The December issue and their perfect for this wilderness loving family.  I did make a few changes to reflect my ideas.



 The Brown Bear will be for Michelle.  
The Deer for their daughter Eve and of course a Polar Bear for my son.  Tom had a dream come true this past year when he came literally face to face with one of these really mean animals.. it's a long story but the Angles were with him on that day when he locked his rental car keys in the car and there was a Polar Bear just sitting on the horizon watching him....This was up in Nome while he was on duty there. Thankfully he was able to get home and tell the tale.  (Although it was terrorizing I know he will be telling this 'fish' story with a smile,  till his dying day)




I used a bit of craft paint to give each stocking a bit of color. 
A bit of cotton ball for the fur.





And some cute little stuffed burlap pillows for their names.






 Cute, I think they will like them.

Ok.. on to the next project.
Don't you just love the Holidays!
* * * * * *
I'm adding a new photo. Today my Son and his family sent this shot of their new stockings hanging proudly on the fireplace.  All they could say was, "Perfect"
"Happy Mamma here" 
(thank you Martha)

 

Linking up to















23 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

These are so sweet! You have come up with some really great gifts for your family this year. Earlier in the year...you were crocheting scarves, ear warmers and sweaters... You are way ahead of me!

I've got to get crackin'!!! You son and family will appreciate all your work and thoughtfulness. ~~Pat

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These are just perfect for this sweet family! I need to get busy, too! I'm gathering ideas! lol

Victoria said...

yeah, really! You are way ahead of me, as well! Thanx for sharing your stocking photos--they look like a quick idea for gifts. I've got to get going on my list! {I love the matching pj's you did, too, and WOW! that knit sweater is awesome!}

Bernideen said...

Great job - very fun!!! Would love to have you come link these to "Open House"!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What cute stockings! You did a great job and have inspired me to make at least one for my grandson. The deer is my favorite. Your son must be very brave. I'm sure many people are thankful for him. I probably would have feinted and been polar bear lunch! Love your blog and am happily following you via GFC and looking forward to more!

Ana Love Craft said...

So sweet idea and they are gorgeous! love to make gifts to my family too!
Thanks so much for sharing!
Happy weekend !

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Beth J. Beal said...

These stockings are such a wonderful idea! You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute

Heather@http://southernabbey.com said...

These stockings are really cute! What a great little project. I may even let my little ones help with the process, let them make their own. Those could be keepsakes!

ana@carpe_diem said...

this is great! It is going to be very nice present :)
I am following you now,
many regards,
Ana@carpe-diem

Light and Voices said...

Adorable idea and you are sure a crafty person to do all this before the holidays. There is always so much to do. Nice job!
Such a thoughtful gift.
Joyce M

Unknown said...

Wow all these details! your presents have become very cute and meaningful!

carol l mckenna said...

These stockings are beautiful ~ well done ~ they will love them I am sure ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

My Shabby Chic Home said...

Love these stocking! they're so lovely!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love these stockings. They have such a lodge or cabin Christmas feel.

Debbiedoos said...

Sandy those are so special and so very sweet. Thanks for sharing with the copy cat party.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are so perfect for your family and you did an incredible job! Love them!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH I love them! Your knock-off is just the cutest and sweetest!
I have so admired those, need to give them a go!
Cindy

Cassie Bustamante said...

i am a huge fan of cute woodland critters and i LOVE your stockings!! they are awesome!

bj said...

HOLY COW...these are sooo adorable. What a great gift...you did so good on them.
xo bj

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi, visiting from Tracies Natural Christmas party. Your stockings are perfect for you wilderness loving family. What a beautiful place to live. The bear encounter would have been just a too bit scary for me. I am now a new follower.
Hugs,
Jann

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

The perfect craft of love! The stockings came out perfect! Thank you so much for linking up to our party!

Beth said...

These turned out wonderful! What a great hand made gift that sounds like they will be perfect for your son's family! The stockings are as extraordinary as where they live.