Friday

A yard sale $5.00 lamp redone, and family ashes....

 Was nice to find this stock lamp (you must have seen this in every store in town).  I have two lamps that are starting to have switch troubles and although I love to buy nice lamps these two were used in spaces that did not require fancy dancy lamps...  For $5.00 I grabbed it.




 Luck was on my side and I was able to plug the lamp in at the home of the yard sale and found out it works really well. But, the gold was not my cup of tea.  Looking in my stock pile of spray paint I found a nice pewter color, one for metal and all sorts of finishes. 

 Before painting I used blue tape to cover off the areas I didn't want the paint to adhear to then got to work with the spray.  This was a nice sunny day but the wind was blowing pretty hard and it took me some time to get the paint to cover properly.
 There, so much better.  I also recovered the shade with a bit of burlap fabric.  Once I finished the shade I remembered that I did not take any photos so you all will just have to see the finished product.  
It works perfectly don't you think?

I have the 'new' lamp sitting on an out of the way dresser.  I call it my shrine to my Mom and Brother.  I keep their ashes where I can stop by and give them a shake from time to time.. I know, some of you may find this odd but it makes me feel better when I have something to say and share with them.


I always wonder how many people have the ashes of a loved one in sight, and  do as I do?
Funny thing, my brothers ashes were put into this Middle Eastern fragrance bottle some 26 years ago and I always wondered what he thought about being in such a girlie container.  Mom has the pleasure of a nice Wedgewood china covered dish. (big smile here).
It just makes me feel good and I don't find it odd at all because I sure miss them!
x0x0x 

I'll be joining these links
Be Inspired 
What to do Weekend 
We Did It Wednesday 


 




4 comments:

Meredith @ The Laundry Can Wait said...

It's great that you display your ashes, because it keeps their spirit alive and with you!

XOXO,
Meredith

Susan said...

Your lamp looks nice. Glad you find comfort in having your Mama and brother near you. I'm sure, in addition to their ashes, you feel their presence, forever, in your heart. Susan

EG CameraGirl said...

I like what you did with your bargain lamp!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Thanks for sharing that... Linda